Restaurants and Bars - Eat and Drink
In Northbridge you will find a great selection of Southern European and Asian restaurants and it gets very busy on Friday and Saturday nights as Perth goes into party mode. Neighbouring Mount Lawley and Highgate also has some good options, as does the CBD. Subiaco is located just a couple of kilometres from the city centre, a trendy and fun suburb which features some great food and entertainment. Claremont is a suburb on the Fremantle railway line where you will find some good restaurants and authentic Italian. Fremantle is an excellent eating option also (see: Go Further). Western Rock Lobster (known as crayfish) is a local specialty. Most of it is exported to the USA, however, prices in Perth can be relatively cheap during Summer, so you can give it a try!
- Northbridge Chinese Restaurant $15 lunch Yum Cha, delish!
- Jacksons In Highgate. It's classy, it’s pricey but worth it. Try the degustation menu. Mains around $40.
- Taka's Kitchen Staple, dependable Japanese in the CBD and a roaring hit with the locals of Perth, mains cheap from $5-$11.
- 9Marys Located in the CBD, very reasonably priced yummy Indian food, mains $12-$23.
- Greenhouse A fantastic restaurant in the city with a focus on green practices including building, recycling, homegrown food etc. It even has a worm farm! The food is fantastic and very fresh, you’ll love it.
- Hippo’s Creek An African steak house, and a good one too! Apart from the usual meats expect to see some crocodile, ostrich, buffalo and camel.
- The Witch's Cauldron Restaurant Based in Subiaco, the menu is heavy on the seafood, mains from $23-$55
- Pronto Nice Claremont Italian restaurant, entree $13 and mains $24.
The main places to go out for a drink in Perth are the CBD, Subiaco, Northbridge, Highgate, Mt Lawley and Fremantle. Northbridge is popular with backpackers and those looking for a big night out, with most of the bars being clustered around William St; this is also the place for live music. Subiaco is a little classier, as are any of the other suburbs!