The best way to get to the Limestone Coast is to drive, however, if you don’t have access to a car you can bus or fly into Mount Gambier and hire transport from there. Check with the Lady Nelson Visitor and Discovery Centre in Mount Gambier for car hire information.
There are four highways leading east into the Limestone Coast from Victoria:
- The Princes Highway (A1): This is the scenic route; it joins the Great Ocean Road towards Mount Gambier.
- The Wimmera Highway (C240): This leads from Bendigo through Horsham into Naracoorte
- The Western Highway (A8): This leads from Melbourne through Ballarat and Horsham into Bordertown. It is also the main route to Adelaide from Melbourne.
- The Glenelg Highway (B160): Leads from Ballarat through Hamilton to Mount Gambier.
From Adelaide in the west you enter the Limestone Coast from the north on National Highway 1. From there, there are two main routes to consider:
- Via the coast along the Princes Highway (B1) and Southern Ports Highway (B101).
- Inland along the Dukes Highway (A8) and Riddoch Highway (A66).
Due to the wide expanse of the Limestone Coast there is no one set route, and travel times will vary greatly. If coming from Adelaide and visiting Meningie it will take just over two hours to reach that point. A visit to Robe further along the coast (340 km away) will take three and a half hours, and the trip to Mount Gambier (448 km) will take about five hours.
Mount Gambier Airport is located north of the town, about a 10 minute drive via the Riddoch Highway. Regional Express fly from Adelaide and Melbourne to Mount Gambier a number of times a day. Tickets vary widely in price from $120-$270 but they are always cheaper if you book online.
From Adelaide, Premier Stateliner run a bus every day except Saturday from Adelaide to Mount Gambier via the coast, stopping in Robe and other towns along the way.
From Melbourne, VLine operate a daily coach service from Melbourne, Warrnambool and Ballarat to Mount Gambier.
From within the region, Coorong Coaches operate a public bus service. Pick-up at some route stops is only available by prior booking.