Broome is the most easily accessed town in the Kimberley, with flights from Perth, Sydney, Darwin, Melbourne and Brisbane, and Alice Springs on the weekend. Kununurra and Derby are a bit more challenging to get to, with flights from Darwin, Broome or Perth only. There are no international flights into this area.
The Kimberley is a very long drive from any direction. On the eastern side, it's a 900 km drive from Darwin to Kununurra (eastern gateway to the Kimberley) on the Victoria Hwy via Katherine. On the western side, if coming from Perth, it's a 2,200 km drive to Broome!
There are scheduled buses by Greyhound from Perth to Darwin, stopping at Broome, Derby and Kununurra. Keep in mind that it is an extremely long bus trip; Perth to Broome will keep you seated for more than 30 hours, and add another 30 hours to get to Darwin. That'd take a few sudoku puzzles!
Cruises to the Kimberley normally depart after the wet season from Darwin. You’ll experience the awesome, rugged Kimberley coastline (inaccessible by car or bus) with its towering red cliffs and azure blue seas. These cruises visit places such as King George River and Falls, Vansittart Bay, Hunter River, Montgomery Reef, Talbot Bay, Cape Leveque, The Lacepedes and Broome. Try Orion Expedition Cruises (+61 2 9033 8777), a purpose built vessel designed to access remote regions in luxury. Sounds exciting!
If you do not have your own car, there are a number of operators who run tours between Broome and Darwin. These tours range from Accommodated Coach tours to adventure 4WD tours.
- Travelwild Australia (+61 8 8843 4159) They run 5-9 day small group 4WD camping tours during the dry season departing weekly from Broome and Darwin from $150 per day.
- Kimberley Safari Centre (+61 2 9527 3630) They run luxury Coach and 4WD Safari's throughout the Kimberley and Western Australia. They get pretty expensive but it is an experience.
Check out these awesome online tour offers to the Kimberley's attractions from Broome. They're easy to book, great value and everything will be organised with just a click of a button:
- Cape Leveque and Aboriginal Community 4WD Tour with Optional Scenic Flight from Broome Relax and swim the pristine beach of Cape Leveque and visit Aboriginal communities on the way there and back. It's fully guided, includes meals and starts at $262 per person.
- Windjana Gorge and Tunnel Creek Full-Day 4WD Adventure from Broome A full-day coach tour (about 15 hours!) along the Gibb River Road visiting the Prison Boab Tree, Windjana Gorge and Tunnel Creek. It's fully guided, includes hotel transfers, meals and park entry fees, and starts at $249 per person.
- 2-Day 4WD Windjana and Geikie Gorge Aboriginal Heritage Adventure from Broome Two days to spot wild crocodiles, visit Fitzroy Crossing, Geikie Gorge, Windjana Gorge, Derby and the Prison Boab Tree with an overnight stay in a safari tent. It's $584 per person.