Restaurants and Bars - Eat and Drink
In all the towns there are many food options in the form of restaurants, pubs, cafes and the ever-present fish n' chip shops, an excellent option for getting a take-away dinner and eating on the beach.
Listed are some of the standouts, from places to get good coffee, to high end restaurants. Enjoy!
- Mejavo's (Torquay) A fabulous little delicatessen and cafe with good coffee.
- The Bottle Of Milk (Lorne) Good coffee and breakfasts, and some of the best burgers in Victoria. Try the beef and pickle or the lentil burger. Very good!
- Maple Tree (Lorne) A contemporary Australian restaurant with food prices ranging from $7-$37. It has good outdoor seating.
- Aire Valley Guesthouse Restaurant (Apollo Bay) Beautiful organic food, views and ambiance, a real treat. The price for mains is around the $35 mark, so it isn’t for those on a tight budget. All the vegetables, salads and herbs are grown on site! This is also a guesthouse.
- Room Six Cafe (Port Campbell) Good quality Mediterranean cuisine, and not too expensive too. Mains range from $15-$30 and are consistently excellent. A definite must if in Port Campbell.
- Brown Grain Thai (Warnambool) A good Thai restaurant in the middle of Warnambool. Try the pumpkin curry with chicken and rice, or the angel prawns if you’re feeling in the mood for something slightly fancier.
- Merrijig Inn (Port Fairy) This restaurant has two chefs hats so expect a very nice meal, but also expect to pay for it. People come to Port Fairy specifically to eat here, and the inn has accommodation too.
And if you feel like going out for a drink, the local pubs are your best bet. Warrnambool, Lorne and Apollo Bay have the most pub and nightlife options, and during summer these places will be packed.
- Lorne Beach Pavilion (Lorne) Right on the beach, waterside. It’s a cafe during the day but excellent for a frosty beer at night.
- Lorne Hotel (Lorne) The epicentre of Lorne’s nightlife, go enjoy a glass of wine on the balcony or a cold one in the bar.
- Apollo Bay Hotel (Apollo Bay) Set right on the main strip, this place attracts everyone in Apollo Bay, visitors and local fishermen alike. The bistro dishes out standard pub fare, which is usually pretty good, and the tables outside along the road are the most popular for their view of the beach. It's a great example of a holiday town pub.
- The Loft (Warrnambool) A live music venue showing local and international bands. Check listings for what’s on.