Accommodation - Shelter
There are many accommodation options in the Mountains, ranging from the cheap to the ‘super fantastic but give you a heart attack when you get the bill’ type options. The B&B’s are worth a look. They are often a little bit more expensive than the motels but for the extra service, quality food and beautiful surrounds it’s definitely worth it. There is also the Jenolan Caravan Park in Oberon and some campsites in the National Parks.
- Blue Mountains YHA A nice friendly hostel in Katoomba with the usual facilities and dorm rooms starting from $28. Private room options are also available up to $98.
Many pubs in the mountains have been gentrified, but not all. The price variations are significant between the two types.
- The Imperial Hotel A restored historic guesthouse hotel in Mount Victoria Village, featuring open fireplaces, elegant dining and excellent brasserie meals. Room range from $130-$180.
- New Ivanhoe Hotel One of the aforementioned ungentrified options, located in Blackheath. It’s cheap, clean, comfortable and you have a pub to have a drink at just below. Rooms range from $33-$88.
Bed & Breakfasts
There are literally hundreds in the mountains, some in central locations in the towns, and some in the secluded far reaches of the forest. With such competition in the area they are mostly of very high quality, with good food and helpful local owners whose love of the mountains is both handy and warming.
- Lurline House A beautifully furnished and very well run guest house on Katoomba’s outskirts, a 15 minute walk to the town centre and Echo Point. The breakfasts are superb, and there are some nice touches - like free afternoon tea when you arrive. Rooms range from $125-$365 a night.
- Broomelea Bed & Breakfast A lovely historic cottage B&B in Leura. Rooms start from about $165 for two people, but they have weekend packages.
- Kubba Roonga Guesthouse A cozy place in Blackheath away from the business of Katoomba with a warm atmosphere and period decor. Rooms range from $150-$230 a night but they have weekend packages.
- Lilianfels Blue Mountains Resort & Spa A famous and well loved five star hotel in Katoomba, housed in a historic country mansion set amidst two acres of manicured gardens. It has a restaurant and spa facilities, and rooms range between $263-$526 a night, with spa packages available.
- Wolgan Valley Resort & Spa A freakin’ really beautiful hotel in the Wolgan Valley; it’s just off the charts for luxury. You get your own private pavilion, beautifully furnished, and the view! Prices range from $1,650-$5,500 a night so you’ll melt your credit card!
- Hotel Hydro Majestic Blue Mountains The ‘Hydro’ is not only vast, stretching more than 1.1 kilometres across the escarpment, it has also been an iconic symbol of the Blue Mountains and Katoomba for generations. You’ll drive past it and go ‘Ooohhh’, but sadly it ran into disrepute due to its shabby interior and dismal service. A classic example of great views and bad reviews! Happily this old lady is getting a face-lift and is due to reopen in 2012.