Restaurants and Bars - Eat and Drink
In spite of its small size, Alice has a varied restaurant scene. Most of the venues are centred around Todd Mall, and often combine food and drink service. If you're heading out for a night on the town there's pretty much four popular places; The Rock Bar, Bojangles, and for more of a locals feel, the bar at Annie's Place Backpackers and, when everywhere closes and you're desperate, the casino!
- Soma Cafe The best coffee in Alice, and smashing for a big breakfast feed.
- Tea Shrine Serves a large variety of teas both hot and cold, and delicious light Asian-style vegetarian meals. The Korean iced tea is really good - don't leave without trying it!
- Oscar's Located near the movie theater, with an ever-changing Mediterranean fusion cuisine and a nice wine list. Try the Roo! Many locals describe it as the best food in town.
- Sportie's It used to be the little casual place owned by and attached to the only five star place in town, Puccini's. When that closed they transferred some of their menu to Sportie's, so as full of sports memorabilia and as rough and tumble as it looks, the food is amazing!
- Bluegrass Serves a variety of food in a beautiful heritage listed building. Service is generally pretty slow on weekends but the food quality ranges from good to absolutely outstanding.
- Thai Room Down a little alley off the mall, it has excellent homestyle Thai food like paw paw salad, Tom Yum and pad Thai. It’s not too pricey, and if you ask for it spicy you’ll get it!
- Bar Doppio's This cafe is down the same alley as the Thai Room, and has a varied selection of vegetarian, gluten-free, and other specialty foods. The very wholesome food and tree-hugger atmosphere gives it a special charm. Look for the alley with the plants.
- Red Ochre Grill Attached to one of the hotels that fronts Leichhardt Terrace but the restaurant is on Todd Mall. It serves an ever-changing menu of various local things.
- Todd Tavern A bar meant for working blokes with reliably solid pub grub.
- Town and Country Tavern A pub which serves light meals, usually with quite a friendly atmosphere about it. Not raging, just a country town pub feel.
- The Rock Bar A bar with live music, food and plentiful partiers.
Other locations around town:
- Bean Tree Cafe A lovely cafe in the Olive Pink Botanic Garden open 8am-3pm everyday. Along with Soma, it's highly recommended for a truly delightful breakfast or lunch.
- Hanuman Located in the Crowne Plaza Hotel, it's yummy but expensive Indian and Thai. While the restaurant itself, and the wine list, are top notch, the service can be vague at times.
- La Casalinga Truly excellent pizza; they have the old-fashioned pizza bar atmosphere, with dark wood paneling and cold beer. The steak and lasagna are delectable too.
- Casa Nostra Located across the river via the causeway from the Todd Tavern. They serve wonderfully fresh pizza and some terrific pastas, all in an old-style Italian romantic atmosphere.
- Overlander's Steakhouse The classic outback steak restaurant and home of the "Drover's Blowout" where you try a little crocodile, kangaroo, emu and camel. They do the "Tourist Humiliation Routine" for tours, where you participate in some traditional Australian songs with wobble boards Rolf Harris style. Touristy but fun.
- Firkin & Hound What an English pub ought to be - pub grub served in a warm, casual atmosphere.
- Lasseter's Casino Has a couple bars, including a nice place called The Juicy Rump (not a strip club!)
Almost all the hotels have bars. Almost all the bars that aren't in hotels have live music some time or another - just check The Advocate (local newspaper) for the gig guide to see what's playing where.